Spiritual Symbols: Butterfly and Dragonfly

The butterfly and the dragon fly have similar spiritual significance so I am including both in this article.
    The butterfly, through it's metamorphosis from the caterpillar, symbolizes rebirth and the soul.  To the Chinese, it symbolizes immortality as well as joy and leisure.  To the Japanese, a geisha or a vain woman while a white one is considered a spirit of someone dead.  Butterflies are often used in art as symbols for female energy, homosexuality, sensuality, temptation, marriage, death and good luck as well as rebirth and immortality.  It is also a symbol of creativity and freedom.
    The dragonfly can symbolize swiftness, activity and whirlwinds, but, like the butterfly, it also symbolizes rebirth and immortality.  They also symbolize transformation and adaptation.  When mating, dragonflies form a heart shape so they are also a symbol of love.  They symbolize our ability to transform ourselfs through a spiritual awakening.  The dragonfly has a less than friendly reputation historically though.  Some old European names for them are "devil's needle", "hobgoblin needle" and "water witch".  Some strange tales evolved about dragonflies.  In some places, they were believed to be able to sew eyes shut.  In others, to puncture your eardrum if they got into your ears.  All of these strange tales are untrue.  So if you see a dragonfly in an unusual place or setting, it is probably a good symbol meaning luck, transformation, or spiritual awakening.
    A final word on butterflies.  A lot of people speculate, or just wonder, where the name comes from.  The answer is simple.  In England, where the english name comes from, the most common butterfly is a small one with pale yellow wings.  It also is oddly attracted to the scent of milk.  So you can imagine back a hundred years ago, seeing a women out on the porch churning butter in an old wooden butter churn, and several of the yellow insects are fluttering around.  So naturally, they got named "butterflies".

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments

• 10/16/2008 6:27 AM Jenna wrote:
    Dear Rev Harold ~

My own husband, Harold, was in a ministerial program when he became ill and was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He died this past August. Since then, butterflies and dragonflies, as well as cranes, eagles and hawks, have been appearing in the strangest places when I am outside and least expecting them. I feel these strongly as spirit connections with my loved one. Very synchronously I went to your blog and explanation of dragonfly and butterfly symbolism since you are a reverend and named Harold.

Blessings,
    Jenna
    1. 10/16/2008 2:09 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Dear Jenna,

Glad to be of help.  Birds, especially unusual ones, are considered messengers of God.
    2. 3/16/2011 6:25 AM melissa larwa wrote:
      2 years ago i bought a orange 350z for my 18 yr old son,a dragonfly stayed on the antenna the whole way home. it stayed with him for six months, and i use to tell zach that it was his guardian angel..and then oct.24th 2008 he died by racing on fm1960. 3 days later we had him cremated and as soon as we saw the smoke, about 30 dragonflies flew around me and my family..so now i know there has a meaning to it all....thanx for listening..melissa
      R.I.P zachary
      1. 3/17/2011 2:41 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
        Thank you for sharing your story.  Sorry about your son.
    3. 7/13/2012 8:15 PM Tabitha wrote:
      Hello Rev,
      I am a 14 yr old girl. My grandmother passed away a year ago and my aunt died when i was 3. Both of them loved butterflies. Well I was at a butterfly pavilion yesterday and there were these beautiful blue butterflies. Blue is my favorite color. Theses butterflies are called Blue Morpho butterflies. Well I was walking around when one landed on my hand. I walked around with it the entire time and it never flew away. This may sound wierd but I sang to it. I even talked to it. Before I left I said I love you grandma or Aunt Lori and the butterfly looked at me then flew away. What does this mean? Was it a loved one? Was it sending me a message? Or was this just a coincidence?
      Sincerely, Tabitha
      P.S. My Aunt Lori loved me very much (she snuck into the hospital just to see me at the hospital) and also me nd my grandmother were incredibly close)
  • 10/16/2008 7:14 AM Jenna wrote:
    One more thing...I came back here to subscribe to your blog after reading more of your entries.

Jenna
    1. 10/16/2008 2:12 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Jenna,
      Thanks for subscribbing.  It does help improve the ratings for a blog on rating services like technorati.
  • 11/23/2008 9:37 AM Carlie wrote:
    My dog died this morning & 2 hrs later a dragonfly was flying inside my house. I believe it was a sign that she is okay. This is such a hard time for me & it gives me some comfort to have something to believe in. Thank you for the comforting article!
    1. 11/25/2008 12:19 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Animals do have spirits and spirits never die.
      When my dog died years ago, a conselor at my churche advised me to plant a tree in his memory.  I didn't have room for another tree so I planted a shrub instead and I've done the same with other dogs.  It doesn't seem like it would, but it does give you some comfort having a living reminder of them.  If you don't have a yard, even a house plant will do.
  • 3/20/2009 3:23 PM Mandy wrote:
    My precious Aunt died last week on the day she passed over I was gifted to see an eagle flying overhead a strange occurrence flying low, yesterday 4 days later and after her funeral a dragonfly appeared close to my family who were sitting having a drink & seemed to hold its position near us for probably 60 seconds.... I knew it was my aunty Kaye, I give thanks for the wonderful gifts. me
    1. 3/21/2009 6:57 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      My sympathy at the lost of your aunt.  When bishop Savoy, founder of the International Community of Christ was cremated, several eagles circled the area.  This is symbolic of one being welcomed into higher realms.
  • 5/3/2009 1:59 PM Donna Lee wrote:
    We are part of a small committee in our church that are making Chrismons (Christ + Monogram = symbols for Christ) for our Alter Christmas tree for this coming Christmas. We made some butterfly's and were wondering if the dragonfly had a religious significance. Now we know, thanks to your beautiful explanation. I like the spirit of your blog and have subscribed. I look forward to your uplifting insights.
    Donna
    1. 5/4/2009 1:13 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Thanks for your comment and welcome to my blog.  I can tell from the statistics that people are reading it, but I can't tell if they find it useful, or at least interesting so I always appreciate comments.
  • 5/14/2009 1:26 PM Nick Nash wrote:
    Thanks so much for taking the time to post this...it has given me some additional information that puts some light on on both of these insects. Outside my living room window is quite a unique space with a healthy bird and animal population but there are really a LOT of white butterflies. I knew they had spiritual significance somehow...and just a few days ago, watched one of the most enormous dragonflies I've ever seen light on a door handle for several seconds and seemed very aware of me. Anyway, sorry to ramble on here...really enjoyed the article. Blessings, Nick
  • 6/17/2009 10:57 PM Cathy wrote:
    Hi Reverend Harold,
    I was directed to this site by Divine Intervention. My daughter, lives in another state and called to ask me what does it mean if a Butterfly lands on you and stays for a while. Or when Dragonflies are circling over you head and keep close to you and appear often at different locations and time of the day.

I told her I thought it was related to New beginnings or new birth and very auspicious. As a result of Google search I was able to choose your site for further input.

Very interesting and informative. Members of our family have often seen the Yellow Belly Hawk or other Hawks, when a loved one passes away The morning of my children's fathers' passing on...while driving on a crowded freeway in California, a HAWK swooped down directly almost striking the windshield..at that moment...I knew their Dad who had been very ill, was gone. The Hawk got eye contact with me and shot straight up toward the sky!

After reading about the spirit of the animal and how you related it to those who have gone on, I really found myself wanting to make this comment.

It was most almost as though the Creator lead me to your interpretation. My daughter, does not have a computer so I will be excited to read your article to her. Be blessed in all you do, Cathy
    1. 6/19/2009 12:24 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Dear Cathy,

I'm glad that you were inspired by this post.  I hope I can continue to inspire you and your daughter as you continue to grow spiritually.

1. 6/19/2009 2:18 PM Cathy wrote:
        Mahalo for your swift answer to our comment. My daughter, was so delighted to have your input and is still experiencing the presence of dragonflies...a plenty! She asked me if you have any printed books at this time. She would like to check them out at her local library. Aloha, Cathy
        1. 6/20/2009 12:45 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
          I don't have a book specifically about butterfly and dragonfly symbology.  I do have a good book on symbols that is usually where I start my research.  It's titled: An Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Traditional Symbols by J C Cooper.  I then search a number of web sites that have additional information about symbols.
  • 6/18/2009 12:54 PM Linda Torres wrote:
    This is a beautiful and understandable version of what I have been searching for. My 16 year-old daughter passed away in March of this year. Although I had always associated hummingbirds with the spirit of my favorite uncle who passed on when I was a child, I was sure of what I had been seeing lately was in fact a sign from my daughter. A large black and yellow butterfly has been seen fluttering around my mother's garden, in different areas of the city and around us at the cemetery when I go to visit her. A few times it has been two hummingbirds together, the hummingbird and the butterfly and just two days ago, two of the same type and color butterflies flying over us at the cemetery. I feel it is both of them as it si no wonder that they would find eachother and walk together now. Thank you for reaffirming my beliefs and my soul's knowledge of the truth.
    1. 6/19/2009 12:27 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Linda,
      I'm pleased that my article helped with your understanding of these spiritual symbols.
  • 6/26/2009 5:04 AM Zabina wrote:
    A dragon fly came into my home a few days ago and was hanging around the washroom area and where i iron my clothes.. but i was to scared and let it be.. and i didnt want to spray it with insecticide cause i hate killing those kinda things that seems much ado nothing.. so i told myself.. it may die in a couple of days.. and so it move from wall to wall space to space.. and then i didnt see it again .. today i looked behind the counter in the room and there it was dead.. so i dont know.. i googled dragonflies and the significance about them and saw this.. what do you think.. Reverend Harold?
    1. 6/27/2009 7:27 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Zabina,
      It's difficult to say exactly what the significance of the dragonfly was without knowing what is going on in your life at this time.  The fact that it died though makes me believe it was a reminder to you that the physical body ends but the spirit is immortal so we all need to develop our spiritual side.
  • 8/25/2009 6:54 PM Karen Dowgiert wrote:
    I never experienced this before, when I was walking to my home on this hot summer day. A swarm of dragonfly's, over 50, were circling me for about 100 yards. There was no one around except for me to see this. I thought I was dreaming. They were landing on my arms as I was walking. Once I got to my home they followed me to the garage. I went inside and they stayed swarming and circling in my driveway and in front of my home until they finally just separated. It was amazing
    1. 3/1/2012 5:42 PM katie francis wrote:
      Last summer i was in my front room & i heard
      this buzzing & when i looked i saw a dragonfly,so i let it out the front window.
      The next day at the mall a man approached me saying he was showing jewelry samples from his company & i could win a free gift. I thought I would win & sure enough my ticket was called. He show me some extra samples & one was a dragonfly broach,which of coarse i choose!!!
  • 10/14/2009 11:02 PM Ken W wrote:
    For three years, beginning in 2007, I have seen only one dragonfly and it began in our backyard. It would fly around me for two to three minutes (very close) and I would stand still. We moved to another home the next year and, again, only one dragonfly would appear in the same manner. In 2009, we bought another home and, once more, only one dragonfly would appear around me in the backyard. I have seen no other dragonflies anywhere. Then, we moved once more in 2009 to another home and, yet again, only one dragonfly appeared precisely as before. It would only appear when I was in the backyard. I tried to show my wife and it would be gone by the time she would come to the backyard. It appears to be only blue in color. We simply do not have ANY dragonflies anywhere else. I've asked many people and they never see them. I do not know the meaning or if there is any meaning to them at all, but it is strange (as you can see) the way these have occurred. I have no idea if anything can be associated with this or not so I leave it up to others who may know to try to explain it to me. I've researched this on the Internet and have found no other "postings" like mine. Others have reported seeing many dragonflies, but not just one and, seemingly, one that is simiar in color, flight, mannerisms, etc., each time. I find it very "weird", but intriguing. I am a former federal agent so I attempt to be objective and only factual. I do believe in God very much. This simply is too repetitive and duplicative in every instance to be "coincidental". Any assistance or "thoughts" on this would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    1. 10/16/2009 12:24 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Ken,
      Thanks for sending your comment.
      Sometimes the significance of a symbol is personal, based on something thet may have happened in your past, but if you don't remember anything special ahppening with a dragonfly, that is probably not the case.  I'd say it is clear you are being sent a message, but what that message is isn't so clear.  Since the color blue is associated with spiritual things, the most obvious interpretation is that you are being advised to work on your spiritual development.  Beyond that, I really cannot say, but I am passing your question on to others in my church who are more experiances at dream and vision interpretation and I will reply to you again when they get back to me.
    2. 10/30/2009 3:10 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:

Ken,
      I have not been able to get any further suggestions about the meaning of this symbol.  I've been told it's hard to do so without knowing you.  My suggestion is that you ask God, in whatever way is within your beliefs, to provide guidance to help you understand.  ALso, try to remember your dreams and interpret them.  That may provide more answers.

• 11/5/2009 3:58 PM Kim wrote:
    This is hard to describe but I was very close to my Great Aunt before she fell ill with Alzheimers and eventually passed. When I would visit her, we would shop and that's when we had come across some dragonfly items like jewelry and such and started collecting pieces here and there. About 4 years later, in fact last year, my mother became ill with terminal cancer and both my parent passed away, in an unconventional way, together on Mother's Day. A week before the passing, my mother was in the hospital on the 11th floor in the downtown area and a dragonfly appeared in the window. I remember pointing that out to her because I was amazed that a dragonfly would be in the window of the 11th floor of a hospital, downtown, near a heavily traveled bridge! I had mentioned that that may be a good sign for her but of course a soon after that was not the case

They have been gone now over a year and about 2 months ago I found a dead dragonfly (rather large) on the garage floor in front of a freezer that I had brought home from their house. A week after that incidently another large dragonfly was inside my home flying around and my significant other tried to shoo him out safely with the broom and made several attempts and the dragonfly got away. Finally, unfortunately his escalated attempt to shoo him out resulted in actually swatting him to the floor where it died. When I returned home it was there and I had to hear the whole story but began wondering what the significance may be since I have collected dragonfly items and jewelry, which started with my aunt several years ago.

It was actually a bit unsetteling and I have lost interest in dragonflies at the moment. Any insight for me?
    1. 11/6/2009 1:44 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      I can't be specific without knowing you well.  I think, from what you have said, that the appearance of the dragonflies were a reminder to you that there is an afterlife.  The fact that one of the dragonflies died, or was accidentally killed is not particularly significant and you shouldn't be too concerned about that.  Adult dragon flies don't live long anyway.  To get better insight into what they specifically mean to you, I suggest you look at your collection and try to notice what your first thoughts are about when you do.  You can also pray, or ask God in whatever way is appropriate for your beliefs, for better understanding of this symbol in your life.  Pay attention to your dreams also.  They can sometimes provide answers.
      It is curious that this article that I posted several months ago is one of the most read and the most commented on.
  • 12/30/2009 3:02 AM Em wrote:
    I am a victim of 2 rapes by different men. I am unsure of which of these would be appropiate for my transformation from victim to survivor and fighting for justice and caring about myself and what they did to me. Any advise on which would be appropiate?
    1. 12/30/2009 1:19 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Personnally, I tend to think more of the butterfly as a symbol of transformation, but it really should be the one you feel is more appropriate.
  • 5/26/2010 10:03 AM SUSAN wrote:
    JUST SAW A BUTTERFLY IN MY YARD FLYING ALL AROUND ME.....SOME PEOPLE SAY IT MEANS A PASSED LOVED ONE SAYING HELLO AND SOME SAY IT MEANS LOVE IS IN THE AIR.....MY HUSBAND PASSED FROM CANCER A YEAR AND HALF AGO, HE WAS 41 AND I WAS 35 WITH TWO KIDS AND I HOPE FOR BOTH...
    1. 8/3/2010 10:54 PM Chrissy Stoner wrote:
      Ten months after my mother passed away, I was walking in the early morning feeling sad that I had not been with her when she passed away. Suddenly, one solitary yellow butterfly fluttered alongside me for almost have a block before it fluttered away. Since that day two years ago, yellow butterflies visit me at the most inauspicious times and locations. Funny thing is that after my divorce, each time I saw "her," something from my past was resolved. And 'she' appears sometimes quite unexpectedly. Backtracking....prior to my first encounter, a friend gave me a huge nylon butterfly from the dollar store. I hung it in my classroom.
      I believe these "butterflies" are angels or spirits giving us the strength to do what we need to do.
  • 6/2/2010 3:13 PM CMOON wrote:
    I would like to subscribe to this blog. Thank you.
    1. 6/3/2010 12:53 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      I added your email address as a subscriber.  You should receive an email message to verify.
  • 6/29/2010 9:45 PM Sofia Villegas wrote:
    Ive had two butterflies fly in my backyard for 2 weeks now. Only the bigger one stays around now i work from home and i always have my window open, this butterfly always taps on my window as if it wants to come inside. Its such a peaceful experience and i always know i will see this yellow butterfly. what does this mean
    1. 6/29/2010 11:59 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      I think that, rather than wanting to come in, they are encoraging you to come outside.
  • 7/25/2010 7:59 AM Jennifer wrote:
    I am pregnant and my husband and I (more me than him) are very much surrounded by dragonflies while I am out and about. Always when I get out of the car there is at least 1 or a whole bunch near me at all times. Also while I am driving they seem to follow along with the car..... not sure what that means
    1. 7/25/2010 11:57 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      The meaning of a symbol is always pesonal, sio it's hard to say.  I thint in this case it is probably symbolic of a transformaation that will occur in your lives after the baby is born.
  • 8/18/2010 12:45 PM cv writing wrote:
    Nice blog! Thanks for sharing!
  • 8/18/2010 1:32 PM Samantha wrote:
    Hi, Just One Question Everyone See's The Butterfly's Dragonfly's And Hummingbirds After Someone Pass's Away. I Always See All Three Before Someone Pass's Away. Is There Anything Any Reason Or Explanation as to why?? Thanks
    1. 8/19/2010 1:20 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      If you see the butterflies and dragonflies before you even know that the person is dying, it is a prophetic symbol.  They are also reminding you that death is not the end and we al need to be prepared for what follows it.
      1. 8/19/2010 1:22 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
        Yes, prayer and natural healing methods like herbs and visualization can help a lot.
  • 9/2/2010 5:52 PM Lorelei wrote:
    A group of 10 to 15 large dragonflys have been circling over my backyard for weeks. Not any of the neighbors, just mine....? I love dragonflys so just sit & watch them, but I was wondering why??
    1. 9/3/2010 12:00 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      That is difficult to say without knowing you and your present circumstances.  Most likely it is a reminder that you are a spiritual being and need to develop your spiritual side.  It could also be a message from someone who passed out of the material world that their spirit is still alive.
  • 9/13/2010 4:50 PM jewell wrote:
    I came home from work today. I was praying about my life circumstances. when i turned the corner to my house, there in the side yard were what look like about 50 very large dragon flies. they were swirling diving all in a dizzy spiral!. I got out of the car and walked to the edge of the yard to see. It was amazing. cars went by, people walked down the street no one seemed to notice but me. I watch them dip and dive for what seemed like the longest time. eventually they dispersed. What could this mean. what is the symbolism of blue jays? my boyfriend and i had an encounter with 2 beautiful birds. they watched us and we watched them. I'll never forget it.
    1. 9/14/2010 1:43 PM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
          It's difficult for a stranger to interpret such symbols for you since it often relates to things that have happened in your past or that are important to you.  Since spirals generally represent the power of the sun, especially the spiritual sun, and can also be a symbol of immortality and regeneration.  Since the dragonfly is also symbolic of regeneration and immortality, I would say that the combination is telling you to seek to strengthen your immortal nature in God's Light.
          In general, birds are messengers of God so again I think a reminder to take care of your immortal spirit and soul.  Blue jays are said to represent truth, faithfulness, solidarity and determination.   Blue is a very spiritual color so is always associated with spiritual matters.
  • 10/9/2010 2:12 PM Darlene wrote:
    I was googling and found your blog. For the last couple of months, I have come outside to find my car surrounded by dragonflies. Which is strange cause I never saw them before. It was so startling that even my husband noticed that "wow, there are a lot of dragonflies out". We can go and drive to church, school and even wal-mart and there are always dragonflies around us or rather me. I dont know I seem to zoom in on any around me, though many times they are right on the roof of the car. I will sometimes go and sit in my car in the middle of the night, just to "get away" and a dragonfly landed on the windshield w/ a thump... remember that this is 3am in the am. My mother past away 2 yrs ago come oct 19th and I guess I started wondering if there was a significance on a spiritual level. Also I was born on 11/11, is there a connection between my birthday and dragonflies??? Another catch I was born in 1974= 7+4=11... Just to add a little more to the puzzle, when I was little it would freak my mom out b/c I could go and sit on the porch and dozens of butterflies would just light on me. She would talk how she would come outside and I would be covered with butterlfies from head to toe...
    1. 10/10/2010 3:46 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
        It's difficult for a stranger to interpret such symbols for you since it often relates to things that have happened in your past or that are important to you.  The part about the butterflies tells me that you are a spiritual person, even as a child.  Butterflies sense, and are attracted to, those who have an abundance of spiritual light.  It's odd that the dragonflies seem to be around the car rather than you, although both happens.  It is therefore probably related to your sitting in the car to "get away" .  What are you getting away from?  And what do you do in the car? That may help you to understand what the symbolic message is.   I would guess that whatever you are doing is bringing spiritual light into the car and that is what is attracting the dragonflies.  They may be trying to tell you that it is time to work more on developing your spiritual side.   There is though a slight possibility that they are trying to warn you about the car, so make sure it is in good running condition.  I am not aware of any connection between dragonflies and the number 11, but I am not an expert on the subject.
  • 11/7/2010 4:39 PM essays wrote:
    I didn't know the meaning of the butterfly and dragonfly symbols, but having read the post I understand I have noticed butterflies in the times of changes in my life.
  • 11/22/2010 7:38 AM Dhanika wrote:
    Hi...i just saw a black moth with yellow spots flying inside my house. I have previously seen black moths on 2 different occasions in my house and my mum fell seriously ill both times. i would like to know if this black and yellow moth means the same thing
    1. 11/23/2010 3:37 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      It probably does mean the same although a bit modified by the yellow spots.  Yellow is usually associated with the sun and sunlight so perhaps your mum has a deficiency of vitamin D which comes from sunlight or some other illness that could be aided by exposure to sunlight.  Yellow can also indicate that a truth is soon to be revealed, usually a spiritual truth, but it could be any kind.
  • 1/13/2011 11:05 AM crystal wrote:
    I lost my son in a car accident 10/07/2009 and i had been worried if he was ok or not, however this summer i pulled infront of my apartment complex and noticed a swarm of dragonflies flying in circles and was terrified..my niece, son and my twins babies(18mos) were with me.My niece and my son were very close, the same age(17) and she got the car first with my baby boy twin and ran thru them..one hit her in the head..lol..my other son got out the car with the girl twin and ran to the house..I looked in amazement as they flew in circles(big ones, little ones,all sizes) and the neighbors were all outside looing..I went into the house to get my keys to check the mailbox and they were attacking the door..I ran thru them and my niece yelled that one was on my shoulder and he did not get off..the dragonfly rode my shooulder to the mailbox and back to the door...when i got in my niece googled the spiritual meaning of dragonflies because i just knew it was him(my son) letting me know he was ok and sure enough, it was confirmed..thank u God...amen
  • 2/15/2011 1:32 PM Sarah wrote:
    Hello Reverend, I'm glad that I found your site. I tried not to put so much meaning into butterfly and dragonfly symbolisms because it seems superstitious. However, I believe that my personal incidences are not purely coincidences.

A few months ago, a yellow butterfly landed on my shoulder on a day that I was especially down. I tried to shake it off, but the wind struck it down to the pavement. That night, I dreamt that I released two yellow butterflies. Then that morning, I saw two yellow butterflies fluttering around each other outside my house. Since then, I see yellow butterflies, white butterflies, deagonflies - in pairs and triads. I mostly see yellow and white butterflies near the hometown of someone I care about, but I cannot reach out to him because of our circumstances. I know you do not have the answers, but I just want to know if you may have an idea of these symbols imply.

Thank you in advance.
    1. 2/16/2011 3:40 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Hello Sarah,
      Dreams and visions of butterflies and dragonflies are always good omens.  The exact significance is something only you can determine since the meaning of other details varies from person to person.  The color yellow is generally associated with the sun so, in this case, probable represents the spiritual sun or Sun of Righteousness.  White is a color often  associated with purity, but also enlightenment.  The fact that they usually appear in pairs indicates that you will probably be pairing with someone else, not necessarily a sexual relationship, but one of working together, hopefully toward mutual enlightenment.
  • 4/7/2011 5:22 PM Jenie wrote:
    My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease 3 years ago he is 44yrs old and has been permanently placed in a nursing home for 12 months now.I started collecting butterfly and angel pictures & trinkets which i have placed all over my home. just recently i have discovered lady bugs in my garden & everyday there seems to be more & more as well as many butterflies dragonflies and i am constantly seeing feathers drifting across my path.I have the feeling my husband will not be with us much longer as he is getting to the last stages of the disease and wonder if these symbols couled be a sign of him passing soon.i look forward to your reply.
    1. 4/8/2011 3:25 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      It's impossible for me to say what the symbols mean to you since that is often a personal thing based on your experiance.  Feathers are often symbolic of the spirit world so are likely to indicate that you will have  some contact with the spirit world, in one way or another, sometime soon.
      1. 4/8/2011 7:38 PM jenie wrote:
        Thankyou for your reply.I often feel the presence of these symbols around me are messages from spirit but i am noticing now they seem to be coming in abundance like they are gathering around me for one reason or another,when the time comes that my husband leaves us it will be a blessing as he is suffering with this hideous disease and i know he will be able to be with myself & the children 100% of the time helping us on our lifes journey.it is so nice to know there are signs to show us we are not alone & give us hope.
  • 4/22/2011 2:22 AM celestial elf wrote:
    Great Post
    thought you might like my machinima film the butterfly's tale~
    Bright Blessings
    elf ~
    1. 4/22/2011 2:37 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      A great video!  Thanks for sharing it.  I am also going to link a copy to my Earth Day post.

• 5/3/2011 8:57 PM alicia wrote:
    I didnt know dragonflies had any kind of meaning, but today i realized they do. This afternoon i was about to get in my vehicle and as soon as opened the door a dragonfly flew in and my first reactin was to shoosh it out so rolled the passengers window down and it flew out but stayed near the window and as i started to roll the window back up again one of its wings somehow got caught between the glass and the little rubber part. I suddenly felt like i should help it..as foolish as it may sound i actually tried to free it but couldnt. I watched it die and i felt a strange sadness almost like i wanted to cry. I have never felt like that. So i pulled it off and put it in a cup and brought it home. When i walked to my front door i saw another dragonfly right outside my front window so i layed the one in the cup on a leaf and walked inside. I am very good at remembering my dreams. But not so good at interpreting them,but last night i dreamed that a wasp kept stinging my left hand and i felt frustrated. It was a very strange day today. Any idea why i couldve felt that way? Thankyou.
    1. 5/4/2011 2:28 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      I am not an expert at dream interpretation and, without knowing anything about you, can't tell what certain symbols mean to you.  I can only give a rather general interpretation that may or may not apply.
      A dragonfly would probably be a symbol of your spiritual,artistic and creative side.  It would therefore be understandable that you would feel some loss at the death of the dragonfly.  The dream goes along with this since being stung by a wasp is generally a symbol of loss and the left hand is a symbol of our artistic, creative side.  So, in general, the whole event seems to be a warning that something happening in your life now may be pushing you away from artistic, creative, or spiritual endeavors and you shouldn't let that happen.
  • 5/5/2011 10:01 PM cv service wrote:
    i am impressed. i have never thought of this like about spiritual symbols
  • 5/9/2011 9:58 AM Koko wrote:
    I lost my beloved dog 2 years ago and I had a strange dream last night: In my dream, I was sleeping and I suddenly felt that my dog is sleeping beside me (like when he was alive). I also realized that my dog had passed away in my dream so I started to feel him without opening my eyes. I felt that he wore a cotton coat and clearly felt his fur on the neck. The feeling was very real. In my dream, I opened my eyes and saw only 1 second of my dog and then he disappeared. Then I realized there are a few dragonflies flying in my room. They were not normal dragonflies. Their wings are black and white and like silk. They swing beautifully when they flied. But in my dream, I was so frightened because I thought they were cockcroaches. Then I woke up. Only after I woke up, I realized that the cotton coat that I felt in my dream was the coat that my dog wore when he was cremated.

I was searching on the internet to see if someone has similar experience of mine in their dream and saw this blog.

Do you think the dream has any connection with my dog's soul?
    1. 5/10/2011 2:41 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Yes, it does sound like the dream may have been a visit from your dogs spirit.  I think the dream is simply reminding you that the spiritual worlds are real.  Seeing a dead pet in a dream is generally a warning that there is some negative or unhealthy part of you that you should get rid of in order to truluylive.  Beyond that, I cannot say as I am not a specialist in dream interpretation.  There are some online sights that specialize in dream interpretation that might help further.
  • 5/25/2011 2:49 PM claire wrote:
    Thank you for this post.
    Id been having a difficult phase in my life. Tonight a red butterfly flew into my kitchen. I think it was to let me know that now is a time for change and transformation. I also think it was reminder of a very beloved friend x
    your blog is uplifting thank you
  • 6/12/2011 7:45 PM Laurie wrote:
    Hi. I wanted to share that when I go to swim in the pool with my son, a dragonfly is always around. If I hold my hand in the air it will land on the tips of my fingers and stay for a bit. When I go to the lounge chair, it will sit on my toes. This has been going on for a few years. I am not wearing any perfume or makeup and don't know why they come to me? Is there a reason? I love animals and experience similar attractions with cats and dogs. Thanks for any input! My mom is a bit freaked out!
    1. 6/13/2011 4:10 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Hello Laurie,

It's hard to say what the reason is without knowing you.  Generally, people who are full of light can be noticed by animals and they are attracted to that.  It is also possible that this dragonfly now has the spirit of a former pet that is returning to those he once lived with.
  • 8/19/2011 2:45 AM nk wrote:
    Hi, This morning i noticed outside my window a dragonfly flying around which caught my attention, it then at on the wall for a few minutes.

As it was a beautiful sunny day the wings of the dragon fly were very illumious, they were red in colour. I thought how beautiful and ran to get the camera from the other room to take a snap of it but when i came back it had gone!

A few minutes later 2 small white feathers flaoting in mid air just dropped down outside where the dragon fly was.

what do think it the significance of seeing a dragon fly with red rings and then seeing 2 smalle white feathers?
    1. 8/20/2011 2:22 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      A lot of the significance of symbols depends on the person involved.  In gneral, feathers, especially white one, symbolize Light, heaven, or higher realms.  Red can represent passion, fire or the more material side of life.  So, as a general interpretation, I would say these events are telling you to move from where you are to a more spiritual life.
  • 9/12/2011 9:16 AM Tammie wrote:
    I have been... dare I say, communicating? with dragonflies! They come to me when I am outside, they land on my hands and as I watch their face I see their mouths move as though they are frantically trying to communicate some message. I realize I sound crazy and being a Christian I have a spiritual connection, but this... I just felt very strongly that these beings were wanting to know me??? This has been going on all summer and I needed to know more about them, I could feel that they were spiritual and felt an urgency to understand this feeling. There is a lot of information out there,positive and negative, but what caught my attention and seemed to confirm this intuition was the transcending from one state of being to another. I see/feel this spiritual thread of continuity in everything that I interact with and the dragonflies are no acception. I hear them confirming that the stirring of my heart and the guidance I am receiving from my God, source, universe, is on target, like the universe is patting me on the back and saying "now you've got it". I have been dealing with that fairly new Christian attitude of condemnation, for myself and others, and yesterday the awakening of why I have been so distant with my creator was judgment for myself and others. I have been asking the question and as the answer generally comes, slowly, the dragonflies seemed to carry it gently on their wings. I now understand that we as a creation ourselves are here to learn how to truly love, with our hearts and souls, kokoro (the souls we were before our birth, at the moment of our creation), the way we were created to love, without wasting our time condemning ourselves and others. But instead, loving them and ourselves through these often difficult lessons.
  • 9/14/2011 6:14 PM Sheila wrote:
    I'm truely seeking the true meaning of the Dragonfly. I was lead to believe that it meant "protector of children" I was a daycare provider for years and felt like I was fulfilling this because of my love and , sometimes over protected, of the children I cared for. Now after a severe head injury (TBI & PTSD) I have dragonflies landing on me when I'm outside gardening. Which meaning is the truest form?
    1. 9/15/2011 2:23 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      The dragonfly is primarily and usually a symbol of rebirth and eternal life, however, the exact meaning of a symbol varies depending on the person.  If you place some other meaning on dragonflies, than that is probably what they mean when they appear to you.  Hope you are well soon.
  • 10/12/2011 6:15 AM Melissa wrote:
    Hi,My story to share is about a butterfly,one of the biggest ive ever seen on my drive way just before i was ready to pick my kids up from school. I picked it up and it appeared lifeless and didnt move. Initially i was afraid i would run it over,so i placed it on one of my small trees. When i came back
    picking my kids up from school i told myself to check on the butterfly. It wasnt there and my first reaction was oh,i hope a bird hasnt eaten it,then out of no where the butterfly appeared,like it waited for me to return and it then flew high up in the sky,i watched it until i couldnt see it anymore. I felt Happy that it waited for me,like it knew i returned.
    1. 10/13/2011 2:12 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Thanks for the comment.  I think this was a good omen for you.
  • 10/20/2011 11:45 PM Sarah wrote:
    Hello, Reverend Harold!
    I previously asked you a question several months ago about the pairs of yellow and white butterflies and dragonflies I see very often. However, since a few months ago, a monarch butterfly flutters around me and my house. I'm told that where I'm from, there are no monarch butterflies. Nonetheless, I'm still trying to figure out the symbolic meaning of a monarch butterfly. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
    1. 10/21/2011 2:21 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      Sarah,
      I am not aware of any specific meaning for the monarch, but since they are a type of butterfly that lives longer than most, I would think they represent long life, or eternal life in spirit.

• 11/2/2011 5:11 AM Sarah wrote:
    I'm just so very happy to no there are more loves of this magical cration
  • 11/16/2011 3:53 AM breezie wrote:
    About six months ago i came home to find a dragonfly in my room with the doors & windows shut, I let it be, but woke up to find it dead on the floor. the last two days i have been followed by one or two white butterflys while walking in seperate places, alone & with friends. Does this mean i will loose someone close to me?
  • 12/30/2011 7:35 PM Ziad wrote:
    My father passed away 2 weeks ago.. I came to Houston to be with my mom and family. Today something very strange and beautiful happened. We went to visit the Houston Museum of Natural Science butterfly center. As soon as i walked in, a white rice paper (Tree Nymph) butterfly lands on my phone, then walks to my hand.. and stays there throughout the whole visit (some 30min). I took pictures, walked and moved around, climbed stairs etc and the butterfly just sat there. At the end of the visit i had to let it go. A little girl asked me to place the butterfly on her hand, and i did. It suddenly flapped her wings and flew around, not knowing where to land, i stood a few feet away and raised my hand up in the air.. the butterfly flew away form the little girl and came landing on my hand again. It was the most touching moment of my life. Her parents stood there not believing what just happened. I had to let it rest on a plant leaf.. and left the center. This moment will stay with me forever. As soon as i came home i had to find a meaning to what just happened and landed on your site.. amazed to read similar stories. I'm christian in belief but i'm also quite open to spiritual healing and universal energy books, so i welcome different interpretations. It might just be that my hand had a particular scent that was appealing to that specific butterfly.. So in a way i don't wanna make a big deal out of it, but also don't want to completely ignore this special moment and its potential meaning. Thanks for a great blog.
  • 1/31/2012 3:35 PM KP wrote:
    For about a week and a half, everytime i drive in the car with either my mum or my sister, an orange butterfly comes and hits the front window. You might call it a coincidence but i suspect something more. I told my mum about this and my sister, and they both said this only happens when im in the car. Its really weird and i just want to know what it means because its quite peculiar and im only 13 so these kind of things make me suspicious. There only orange butterflies, never white or anything else. So can anyone tell me why this is happenening?
  • 3/29/2012 9:41 PM memoryz wrote:
    hi my name is memoryz im 11 years old and is very confused.Every day i am seing this small monarck butterfly.When im at school,walking home,outside in my backyard.When i see the butterfly i decided to give it a name.I call it "my butterfly".Becuase it only comes out and fly when im around.One time at school we had a practice fire alarm and we had to go outside.All these butterflys then came and twwirled in a circle in front of my class but they did it so fast and elegant that nobody realy noticed them.My butterfly flys over my head or flys over my nose sometimes.My best freind thought that i was just seing alot of butterflys lately since its getting hotter now and since it alsmost spring.But she has now noticed that the butterfly is always near us.On monday when me and my brother were walking home a big black butterfly with one yellow dot on each wing flew by us and stood in the same place for a long time.I think that my butterfl couldnt make it so another butterfly took its place,but it was only for a day.When i told my mom what was happening to me she told me i was really lucky and that shes gonna get three butteflys on her ribs when she goes out of town since shes deployed.Please respond and help me understand whats happening to me.I think its my guardian angel or my big mama who passed away several years ago. i have been talking to her alot lately and have been talking and praying to god alot.PLease respond
    1. 3/30/2012 4:08 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      What the butterfly means depends more on you than on anyone else.  Symbols are personal.  It could be a message from your big mama to let you know that she is OK.  It could be they are attracted to you because you are a blessed person and they feel God's light in you.
  • 5/9/2012 2:59 PM Jenzy wrote:
    My amazing Mom passed away unexpectedly this past December. On the way to see my grief counselor, I stopped at a store to pass some time. This was a store that my Mom and Dad frequented in their hometown. For weeks, I have been looking for a small garden flag to no avail. Upon entering this store, looking for a flag was not on my mind, but my Mom was. Directly in front of me, by itself, was a lone garden flag with Gardenias(Mom's favorite flower) and words "Ones that we love live on in spirit". I turned around in utter surprise to find a small picture that said "Pay attention to the small things in life". I didn't need anything more...I knew it was another sign from my Mom. It's in my garden right now.

Today, I found a dead dragonfly on our driveway...I layed it down under the flag. I've always loved dragonflies...what would this mean?

Thanks and blessings.
    1. 5/10/2012 4:10 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      If dragonflys are common in your area, it may mean nothing.  If it does mean something, you are the best one to figure out exactly what.  While I can, and have, given a general description of the symbology of dragonflys,  the specific meaning in you case comes from your life experiences and your beliefs.
      1. 5/10/2012 4:17 AM Jenzy wrote:
        Dear Reverend Boulette,

Thank you for your reply. I'm not in a common area for dragonflies and this is the 2nd time that I have one. To me dragonflies are magical and a symbol of the spirit realm. I just was wondering if there is any significance of finding a dead one? Thanks ahain. Blessings
        1. 5/11/2012 2:32 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
          Hello again.  I don't know of any specific symbology associated with a dead or dying dragonfly.  I would guess that it could be a warning to not ignore your spiritual side, but you don't seem to be doing that. It may also simply be an indication that some change is needed in your life, much like the death card in Tarot.  What change, I can't say since I don't know you.  Please note that the primary purpose of my blog is to encourage spiritual growth and I do not claim to be an expert in the field of interpreting dreams, visions and symbols.
  • 5/20/2012 8:23 PM Marc De Leok wrote:
    My gf and I went to Crivitz, Wi. We went to Twin Bridges Park. Nobody was there and it seemed weird. A storm was coming. I brought her to the top of a hill, called "THE ROCK". I typically would jump in, from about 20. Ft from the water. There were hundreds of dragonflys swarming us. Something was telling me not jump in. It's been a few years since I was there. Well, we decided not to, and on the way down the hill, we ran intonation couple that was going up. He said, I'm lucky I didn't jump. They drained the lake recently amd since then, a huge boulder is underneath that is very sharp, amd the last time, he stepped in the water at the bottom of the rock, he cut himself on the rocks. He said, its extremely shallow now and I'm very lucky I didn't jump in, as I planned.
    I don't know what to say, all I know is I felt like the dragonflys were trying to tell me something. Each time I got closer to the edge, they swarmed me. Idk... Thoughts?
    1. 5/21/2012 2:20 AM Reverend Harold Boulette wrote:
      It does seem that the dragonflies were sent as a warning.